After seeing the #topnine2019 on instagram, I began looking through my blog over the past ten years and have seen the amazing things that I have been privileged to be part of:
1. Both my daughters graduated with honours...one from high school and the other from university. Both grads were held within 24 hours which made an emotional time even more so. I am so proud of our girls.
2. As a founding Board member of Creative Airdrie, I was privileged to usher many arts & cultural activities. After I stepped down from that position, I kept being involved in other ways, including painting during a Council meeting at our City Hall as part of Alberta Arts Days which was a lovely experience. I was told that it was the calmest meeting they've ever held which, to me, shares the power of the arts.
3. My '52 WEEKS::Heroes' project was unveiled at the AirdrieLIFE Amazing Women Awards. It was such a fitting beginning for that body of work as I hadn't painted portraits for many, many years and it has been the beginning of the most heart-warming new projects.
4. There have been many incredible interviews and articles throughout the past ten years, but I think my favourite it being named on the the 10 best artists to collect in Canada by ARABELLA magazine. It was an incredible article in a beautiful publication for which I am so grateful.
5. My work was represented by the Inglewood Fine Arts Gallery for 10 years but the 'Sacred Vessel' exhibit was my favourite. So many friends & family attended the show and so many canoes found new homes across the country.
6. I received the Professional Artist Award by Fortis at the Airdrie Mayor's Night of the Arts. It was a definite highlight of my career to be recognized by my community.
7. The 'Nasty Women' project is so near and dear to my heart. As an artist, it has been so amazing to have a body of work that was a collaboration with so many incredible women.
8. One of my first public art projects was to paint a utility box in my community titled 'Honouring Ancestors'. It was amazing to receive so much local support and to see that after all these years the box still hasn't been vandalized since.
9. I've travelled with my family and spent time with friends...which has been so healing for me. In spite of other disappointments in my life, these trips have been a healing balm.
The decade ended off on such a great note.
AIRdirondack Art Project