When the girls were little we used to pack a picnic lunch and head out for drives. A favorite trip was to head south and stop in at quaint little towns, Nanton, Alberta being one of them. To this day, we love to visit the antique shops in the old hardware store. It has a very interesting history:
The building itself, steeped in area history, is reason enough to stop by. Built in 1909 as a hardware store by Charles Marshall, the upper storey served Nanton as a meeting and social hall for local lodges and other groups. Purchased in1935 by William S. Keeley, who expanded the stores range of goods and converted the top floor into apartments, the newly-renamed Keeley Building soon found itself pressed into wartime service as a residence for officers assigned to the nearby aircrew training base.
Honouring the Ancestors
Great Places Plan