11 Tips for Creativity
“Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things.”
I always keep a sketchbook with me, it helps to pass the time and is a great place for ideas and notes. Awhile ago I read an article on 11 tips to bolster your creativity and this is what I wrote in my sketchbook...
1. Use different eyes...look differently, from a different physical or emotional perspective, using different tools or media.
2. Forget the rules...yes, there are some rules that help as an artist, rule of thirds, perspective, line, form, shade...but sometimes it's good to let them go and just paint.
3. 'Just do it'...stop worrying about another's perception or your own...just do it for the fun of it, paint like a child once again.
4. Keep moving...keep going, keep looking, keep showing up.
5. Find muses...find those things that you love, that inspire you...music, colour, people, words...put that into your work.
6. Remember contrast...opposites attract...colour, shapes, words, values...opposites add excitement. I like to work in complimentary colour palettes because they sit on opposite sides of the colour wheel.
7. Don't be afraid...do something that scares you a little...speak in public, write, sing, work with a different media or subject...and bring those experiences back to your work.
8. Use your body...I usually work at an easel or on the floor so that I can gain a different perspective and use my media in a new way.
9. Let it go...don't hold to tightly to anything or you won't allow room for exciting and happy 'accidents'. Keep in mind that every experience feeds creative growth.
10. Stay...even when you feel uncomfortable. It is usually in those moments that a huge shift occurs.
11. Don't. Give. Up.
6/18/2013 04:11:19 am
Love your comments. These words are bigger than just art --- living creatively in general. Thanks and am enjoying your website. Saw through a friend of ours - Barb A.
6/19/2013 01:04:14 am
Thanks Maureen...it's funny, while I was writing that post I felt the same, that these words can be applied to everything. And thank you for your lovely comment.
Comments are closed.