Lately I've been giving a lot of thought to all of the highlights of this creative career and there are many. The greatest, besides doing something creative every day and meeting incredible people, is the tremendous support of patrons, galleries and media. Some of the good memories I've had of late:
- my first opening at ArtSpace complete with champagne, Bernard Callebaut chocolate, music by TimTamashiro and his jazz trio and an interview with A-Channel.
- being invited to write a brief introduction for renowned Canadian artist Robert Genn's last book
- receiving the Tinyan Chan Award from the Federation of Canadian Artists
- publication in numerous magazines, books and other media
- painting 'Honouring the Ancestors' on a utility box in my community
- every time I'm asked to paint live...I love doing that
- being involved in the growith of arts and culture in Airdrie, beginning with the founding of the ARTS Society and Creative Airdrie, as well as my role as the Arts + Culture Coordinator of the Airdrie Public Library and now, speaking into a cultural policy with the City of Airdrie
- the AIRdirondack Art Project, ARTember, Main Street Project, Art-in-Motion, Artists' Alley and Airdrie Mayor's Night of the Arts
- and most recently, being the recipient of the Professional Artist Award at the inaugural Mayor's Night and the lovely article titled North of 56 and written by Sam Amos for Arabella Magazine
10/23/2015 11:41:32 am
Gabriele, I think often artists (myself included) focus too much on the negative aspect of creativity - the criticism and challenges - so I thought it might be nice to just focus on the positive. And thank you, always, for such wonderful words of encouragement.
10/22/2015 01:01:56 pm
I sent my daughter who lives near a Chapters out to get me a copy of Arabella with your article in it. I'm cherishing the quiet moments when I get to read it.
10/23/2015 11:42:04 am
I hope you enjoy it Lori...I'd love to hear what you think.
Comments are closed.