In 2015 I created a banner to celebrate my annual Word-of-the-Year (you can see my process here) which was based on Tibetan prayer flags. In spite of the weather over the past few years (rain, hail, snow, sun, and Chinook winds), the banner has held up very well on our back deck so I decided to take it down, replace ribbons that were badly frayed and prepare another chunk of canvas to add my words from the past three years. This time I also added additional pieces so that I can continue to add the guiding word I select for the next three years.
It's been really great to see how well canvas and acrylic paint stands up to all kinds of weather conditions...it's durable and the colours still look vibrant. Most of the materials were inexpensive - canvas floor cloth that I had used, dollar store acrylic paints in addition to the Liquitex heavy body acrylics and ribbons that I had at home. And I have enjoyed being able to look at it through the French doors outside my kitchen all year long.
AIRdirondack Art Project