This is a painting that I recently re-worked after giving it much thought. When I originally painted it, it was picked up immediately by a gallery in BC then went on to another in Calgary. Once it was returned to my studio recently, I found that there were a couple of things that I didn't like...or maybe connect with...like the tree that was initially in the background and the shape of the canoe (see below).
It was a great opportunity to try out a new acrylic ink that I had picked up by Daler Rowney as well as some of the Golden OPEN acrylics that I've been wanting to try out. As as as the FW ink, I think I will probably stick to the Liquitex acrylic ink as I found the Daler Rowney to be harder to clean out of my Iwata airbrush and after allowing the ink to cure for a day, it still mixed into the colours I layered over the top of it (something that is an important part of my process), especially the white.
The Gold OPEN acrylics felt a little sticky to me, and since I do love to work in many layers, the slow drying time was a bit of a challenge for me. I guess I'm just a Liquitex girl...the acrylics are familiar to me and I love how they work together.
In spite of the changes I made to the painting, it still feels like Autumn to me...particularly that 'murmuration' of swallows. I just made certain to add more back into the piece after re-working it. All-in-all I'm very happy with the final results.
AIRdirondack Art Project
Alberta (above) +